Saturday, March 21, 2015

All you've gotta do is call, & I'll be there - You've got a friend.

They say (you know, whoever they are) that we all have friends for a reason, friends for a season, and friends for a lifetime. I have always stuck by this because I believe the hell out of it.

So if you couldn't tell, this post (sorry it took so long for a new one) is about friends. As cheesy as it sounds, I have realized, as of late, how much I appreciate my friends.


Let us expand on all this. Friends for a reason, what does that even mean?

From my understanding, friends for a reason would include people that are only friends of yours because of something like work or school. Friends that if you left your job, you wouldn't really hang out with them, because you actually don't have anything in common, in the real world, really. I've had, and probably currently have, lots of friends for a reason. Not exactly do in involve them in a lot of my personal life, but we definitely enjoy each others company or conversation, especially at work. These are the sort of friends you invite out for drinks or to a party or what have you, and you have a great time, but after you're not in each others lives, you don't really make a point of keeping in touch. And that's okay. Who needs a million friends anyway?

Now, friends for a reason and friends for a season are kind of interchangeable to me. Obviously, as in it's title, friends for a season means exactly that. Someone who came into town for the summer and you hit it off from the get go, but then leaves after the summer. Someone who came to visit the ski hill in the winter, and you definitely go down the slopes together, but then leaves when the weather starts to get warmer. Sometimes you keep in touch with these friends, but not often. And that's okay. Sometimes you just need a friend for a little bit of time. Think of the memories.

The problem with these two kinds of friends, is that sometimes the friendships end badly. I had a friend (we both thought we'd be best friends for a lifetime) who got married last year, and beforehand she stopped talking to me, removed me as a friend on Facebook, and I didn't notice until a mutual friend was tagged in pictures from her wedding. I was meant to be a bridesmaid, but then the dress she wanted for the bridesmaids wasn't found in a plus size, so she didn't want to change it just to let me fit into it, so she asked me to play piano while she walked down the aisle. I was uncomfortable with that; I hadn't played or practiced my piano skills in a couple years, I was way too rusty. But really? Just cause I couldn't fit into a certain bridesmaid dress? I didn't end the friendship because of that, SHE ended it because she came to visit me and I was too tired from a stressful weekend at work to meet her and her other friends for a dinner. And I'm the bad guy??

Okay, rant over. Clearly this girl was a friend for a reason. What that reason is, I'll never know. But she did help me get through high school issues a lot, and we supported each other with almost everything we did. I don't regret our friendship at all, and it's probably the biggest friend loss I've ever had, but I don't let it get me down. Ever. Well, anymore.

FRIENDS FOR A LIFETIME:
Let me just tell you, I'm so damn lucky to have found plenty of these little bastards. Two of my best friends from middle/high school, I still consider my best friends. I've known them since I moved to town about thirteen years ago. One of them, we've had our ups and downs for sure, but we're always there for each other; she talks me through a lot of stuff, and I help her out as much as I can. If we haven't seen each other in a bit, it's like nothing changes.



My other best friend from when I moved here, we have never fought. Ever. I can't recall any time we've been mad at each other. Sometimes we go for weeks without seeing each other too, and again, it's like nothing changes. I can completely thank her for so much of my confidence. She brings me out of my shell so much more than most of my other friends, and I can trust her with absolutely anything. She is my rock, and I never want her to leave my life. Ever.



Now, my most recent friends for a lifetime, I've met them through my job. The first fantastic girl I've met, turned into my roommate, and then proceeded to become my boss. Though we have had troubles in the recent past, we work our way through them. I couldn't imagine a life without her. The amount of care this girl has for her friends is immense, and I love her for it.



Two ladies that I should hope are friends for a lifetime, I met most recently, and my god I adore them. One girl pumps me up so much, and wants to see me happy (though I think that's true for all of my friends), and the other girl just... connects with me. We joke around and make fun of each other, but it's all out of love.

My goodness I have a lot of friends for a lifetime...

Another girl, who I met through school, may live on the opposite side of the province as me, and we still are thick as thieves. We support each other, and if either of us are feeling down, whether it be a little bit or extremely low, we talk each other through it. She's one of the few people in my life that literally would drop everything she's doing to go for coffee with me, or hang out with me, or just listen to me cry about some sort of problem I may be going through. She's seen me at my best and at my worst, and is one of the greatest friend a girl could ask for. A lot of friends of hers take her for granted, and I think they're crazy.

As amazing as all my ladies are, and I wouldn't trade them for the world, there's this one kid... whom I adore. He's my soul mate, and he brings me out of my comfort zone in so many ways. I can thank him for a lot of my confidence as well. We help each other through so much, and even if we slightly get into a small little fight, or even a big one, we deal with it immediately and understand each other so much.


So these crazies are my support system, my friends, everything about me and my personality I owe to them, and thank them for helping me realize that there's nothing wrong with being myself. My little minions mean the world to me, and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

SO DON'T MESS WITH THEM, OR I WILL POUR HOT GREEN TEA ALL OVER YOU. I MEAN IT.

How many friends for a lifetime do you have? Do you have friends for a reason, or friends for a season? Think about it, and I mean really think about it. Of all the friends in your life, right now, which ones can you trust with anything? Which ones are worth your time? Cause if they're not worth even a minute of your time, they're not worthy of being your friend.

It's a thing, nowadays, that I've noticed, that some people don't know who their true friends are, and I'm ridiculously lucky to have found mine. Don't waste time on people who wouldn't give the world to spend time with you.



*Shoutout to any friends I've made through any job I've had. You guys help me get through every difficult day - I owe you so much!*

No comments:

Post a Comment